1. Starfish have eyes at the end of each of their legs - how weird is that? I only learned this thanks to dayhomeboys end of the year book from Kindergarten when his TA wrote that is something she learned. This summer we were at a festival that had some naturalist society people with all these tubs full of marine life and I was teaching my son this little tidbit...made me feel pretty darn cool when I even taught the naturalists this little ditty too!
2. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12, 345, 678, 987, 654, 321 - Honest!! My math teacher in grade 4 taught me that and I have never forgotten it.... that and what a google was but somehow that didn't seem as weird to me.
3. A duck's quack cannot echo - not that I am a duck but this summer when we were at the lake for a holiday, we spent one day teaching the kids all about echoes. When a friend's dad told us this, we all spent the next half an hour trying to quack like a duck. Our quacks echoed but apparently if we were real ducks, they wouldn't. I'm sure the neighbours thought we had all lost our minds but luckily it was the middle of the day... which gave me some comfort in hoping that they didn't think we were drunken fools, only crazy parents.
4. And speaking of crazy parents.... no one can lick their elbow. I told this to my daughter one day and spent the next hour in hysterics while she tried...and tried...and tried. It was honestly one of the funniest things I have ever seen. And right about now, if you didn't already know this, you are trying to do it yourself or making someone else try it!!
5. If you wipe out your bathtub with a Bounce sheet you won't get a ring in the tub! Thanks to Alissa for this cool tidbit, I tried it out and worked like a charm!
6. I have no idea where I heard it but it's one of those things that sticks in your brain.... way back when, in Ancient Egypt (?) they used to brush their teeth with... wait for it... urine!! Bleckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!! And here I thought Crest was gross!
7. Peter Pan and 101 Dalmations are the only two Disney movies where someone has both parents and they don't get killed. This was discovered way back in University days...after a serious (yet somewhat drunken) discussion about Disney and how bad words appear in clouds in The Lion King and how parents always die or are dead. The crazy Disney fanatic informed me of this and now every time I watch a classic with my kids, that is the first thing I look for in the movie!
8. The human head weighs 8 pounds - yep... according to the kid in Jerry McGuire! I have no idea if it's true but for some reason I always remember this line... and then Tom Cruise tells him some stat about football and then he replies with "did you know my neighbour has three rabbits?" Yep... I loved that movie. Still makes me laugh.
9. Race Car spelled backwards is Race Car! When I can't sleep at nights, I do these dumb word games in my head and this one was a recent one! My stupid other game is finding 7 letter words and seeing how many 3 letter words I can make out of it.... insomnia does great things to my brain!
10. Griffin means "very wide" in Filipino. When I was pregnant with my oldest, I loved this name and had my heart set on it. Then when I told a mom that I had just met (who happened to be Filipino), her eyes got huge and she told me in broken English what it meant. So, hormonal me, went home and cried and vowed to find a different name. And now looking back at it, what a dumb thing that was! I loved the name and no one in my family would have known the Filipino meaning of it! Oh well, I now have a Spencer instead and I just can't picture him as a Griffin (although I really do still love the name!)
Whew..........that was tough! I am one of those people who normally rocks at Trivial Pursuit because I have all this useless trivia in my head...but trying to find 10 of them to write about today was tough!! Can you do it???